Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
The Business Times
  • News
  • BT Exclusive
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Financial Markets
  • Politics
  • Energy
  • Insights
  • Sports
  • News
  • BT Exclusive
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Financial Markets
  • Politics
  • Energy
  • Insights
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
The Business Times
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Ferrari Luce Hits $40m Despite EV Backlash

byAdedipe Temilolaoluwa
August 17, 2026
in Business, News
0
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ferrari’s first production electric car, the Luce, has made a remarkable debut at auction, selling for an extraordinary $40 million (£29.5 million) despite facing criticism from some automotive enthusiasts after its launch.

The 2026 Ferrari Luce “Tailor Made” was sold during an RM Sotheby’s auction in Monterey, California, over the weekend. The vehicle was described by Ferrari as a rare chance to own “Chassis 0”, the first production example of the company’s new Luce programme.

Ferrari said the auction represented an “unrepeatable opportunity” for a collector to acquire one of the most important cars in its transition into electric mobility.

The entire auction proceeds will be donated to educational initiatives through the Ferrari Foundation, adding a charitable purpose to the record-breaking sale.

The winning bidder has not been identified. The car, which was built to United States specifications, will return to Ferrari’s headquarters in Maranello, Italy, before being delivered to its new owner in the first quarter of 2027.

The special Luce features an exclusive Madreperla Semi-Gloss exterior finish created specifically for the vehicle. Inside, Ferrari’s Tailor Made division gave the car a distinctive cabin featuring Perla Le Mans metallic leather.

A special plaque has also been installed to identify the vehicle as the first production chassis of the Luce programme.

Ferrari considers the car a major showcase of its personalisation programme, describing Chassis 0 as one of the most significant expressions of its Tailor Made work.

The huge auction price is particularly notable because the Luce has not received universal praise. Some Ferrari fans and automotive commentators questioned the company’s move into electric vehicles and expressed concerns about the car’s design.

The Luce was designed by Sir Jony Ive, working with designer Marc Newson and their LoveFrom collective. Ferrari says the electric supercar is expected to deliver an estimated range of 329 miles, accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in about 2.5 seconds and produce up to 1,050 cv.

The vehicle is expected to use a 122kWh battery, four electric motors and a dedicated technical platform developed for Ferrari’s electric future.

Despite the criticism, Ferrari has positioned the Luce as an important step in its evolution. The company expects standard versions of the model to start at around €550,000, or approximately £470,000.

The move has also attracted criticism from within Ferrari’s traditional leadership circle. Former chairman Luca di Montezemolo previously warned that moving heavily into electric vehicles could threaten the heritage that has made Ferrari one of the world’s most recognisable luxury car brands.

At the Monterey auction, the Luce became the event’s standout sale. A 1996 McLaren F1 GTR followed as the second-highest sale, fetching around £25.5 million.

The $40 million result shows that, regardless of debate surrounding Ferrari’s electric future, collectors remain willing to pay enormous sums for rare and historically significant models from the Italian marque.

Tags: AuctionsAuto IndustryElectric Carselectric vehiclesFerrariFerrari LuceLuxury CarsRM Sotheby’s
Adedipe Temilolaoluwa

Adedipe Temilolaoluwa

Next Post

The Tech Pioneer Behind Paystack’s Rise

Recommended

AIG Oxford Leadership Programme Opens Applications For Africans

6 months ago
Nigerian Entrepreneur Nzan Ogbe Secures $64 Million Afreximbank Loan to Expand Gas Infrastructure Stake

Nigerian Entrepreneur Nzan Ogbe Secures $64 Million Afreximbank Loan to Expand Gas Infrastructure Stake

7 months ago

Popular News

  • The Tech Pioneer Behind Paystack’s Rise

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ferrari Luce Hits $40m Despite EV Backlash

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Meta, FG Launch AI Academy to Equip Nigerians With AI Skills

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Chipper Cash Faces Growing Customer Backlash

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria Pension Contributions Fall 38% in Q1 2026

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter Instagram TikTok

Newsletter

Pages

  • About Page
  • Contact
  • Domestic Gas Sales Rise 30% as Nigeria’s Energy Reforms Gain Traction
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Navigation

  • News
  • BT Exclusive
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Financial Markets
  • Politics
  • Energy
  • Insights
  • Sports

© 2025 The Business Times NG .

Welcome Back!

OR

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • BT Exclusive
  • Economy
  • Business
  • Financial Markets
  • Politics
  • Energy
  • Insights
  • Sports

© 2025 The Business Times NG .